LinkedIn for B2B Advertising
LinkedIn is a multi-faceted platform that has become a main player in B2B digital marketing. This professional networking platform greatly simplifies B2B marketing by offering a host of free and effective online tools.
Using LinkedIn, you can quickly and easily connect with your ideal B2B audiences.
The Professional’s Social Network
LinkedIn may be small, but it is mighty; LinkedIn currently has about 675 million users, which is tiny compared to Facebook’s massive audience of 2.5 billion, but this may just be your greatest advantage in advertising.
LinkedIn users typically are professionals engaging with industry-related content. If you’re looking to connect with other industry professionals, LinkedIn is the best social platform to do so.
No matter your industry or advertising goals, if properly utilized, you can find value in marketing on LinkedIn. There are millions of online professionals looking to advance their careers and a number of industries that can be of service to them.
To effectively advertise your services on LinkedIn, the platform offers a variety of different tools to make sure your content is getting to the right viewer, in the right format, at the right time. .
Campaign manager is going to be your greatest asset when advertising on LinkedIn. Here you will be able to manage every aspect of your LinkedIn advertising; review detailed reports with key information regarding campaign performance including clicks, likes, shares, comments, and follows; gain access to easy-to-use reporting that will display only the data you want to see; and receive detailed buyer persona profiles to learn more about who is accessing your content.
Currently, LinkedIn supports three types of advertising: Sponsored Content, Sponsored InMail, and Text Ads.
- Sponsored Content: guarantee your content will get more views with LinkedIn’s native advertising. Whether it’s a single image, a video, or an interactive carousel, you can engage with target audiences using any media. Using this tool, more ideal users will see your content displayed on their feeds, and using Lead Gen Forms you can collect important information from users to better inform you about the type of people you are currently reaching.
- Sponsored InMail: unlike Sponsored Content, this type of ad creates a much more personalized experience for users. You can use this tool to send messages with a single CTA to strong leads that will create a greater incentive for users to follow up than a native advertisement; one in two prospects open up these ads! You can also use Lead Gen Forms to collect key information from these users. With this information, you can see what types of professionals are engaging with your ads with demographic reporting. You can also use conversion tracking to see who eventually made a click.
- Text Ads: these ads are more subtle compared to the other options and appear to the side of a user’s LinkedIn feed. These simple ads are paid based on pay-per-click and cost-per-impression. Despite the name, this ad format can (and should) include a small image to help draw the viewer’s attention. These ads should also include an appealing CTA and link to a specific landing page for the best results. These very simple ads can often be very helpful if properly formatted and can be a good way for marketers new to the platform to get into advertising.
LinkedIn allows marketers to target their audience in three different ways: Contact Targeting, Account Targeting, and Website Retargeting. These tools for finding your audience fall under the larger umbrella term LinkedIn calls “Matched Audiences.”
- Contact Targeting: take full advantage of current contacts with this simple tool. You can easily and quickly upload your email list and use this important information to better target potential leads. Upload up to 300,000 contacts to build a customized audience profile to better approach LinkedIn users; this one small tool can help tailor content to drive sales and qualified leads. Or, if you are using one of LinkedIn’s supported partners, you can simply integrate your current CRM platform.
- Account Targeting: using your current account lists, you can create specifically-targeted ads for each list. Account-based marketing is essential for B2B advertising as it helps you better reach the strongest leads; by comparing your account list to the millions of company pages currently on LinkedIn, this tool will compile a list of strong potential clients; the list can then be further refined, or those on the list will begin to see ads for your services relevant to the needs of that firm.
- Website Retargeting: for those looking to organize website visitors, this is the tool for you. Use your visitors’ actions to create target audiences based on the pages they have visited on your site. This will allow you to better tailor the content they see based on what they have shown interest in previously; with this tool, you can find more qualified leads and drive sales by providing the right content to your viewers.
Given the professional and marketer-friendly user base, it’s no wonder that 94% of all B2B marketers prefer LinkedIn for content distribution; additionally, 80% of all social media B2B leads come from LinkedIn, and 90% of social traffic comes from three main sites, with half of it coming from LinkedIn alone.
Overall, LinkedIn is the greatest choice for B2B marketers because it delivers results, and 91% of executives claim LinkedIn has delivered high value in their social media marketing efforts (source). Get started advertising on LinkedIn today to better reach your strongest leads.