On Average 26% of marketing emails are opened by recipients.
Email marketing is a very powerful tool to use to market to your clients and prospects.
The good news is that it is getting a lot easier to collect an email list and to create visually pleasing emails to send to your customers and prospects. Here’s a simple overview of why email marketing matters and how you can get started quickly.
First, what is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is simply the effort of communicating your business’s value to your customers and prospects through email. Email marketing is typically opt-in meaning people have signed up to receive your communications through a web site or on a subscription form at your office or store.
Why is Email Marketing So POWERFUL?
- The opt-in nature of email marketing is what makes it so powerful. Your audience has chosen to hear from you so they are already a qualified prospect.
- The second reason it works so beautifully is how easy it is to share email once received. It’s super easy to take an email you received and forward it to a friend who is also interested in the offering… creating the viral nature of email communications.
- Email marketing lets you quietly remind your customers and prospects that you are out there and that you offer a service or a product that they like, need, or value.
How do you DO Email Marketing?
If you have a web site, add a sign up box on your home page.
- Most email platforms (Word Press sites can add a WP plugin to their site) offer an additional feature for email sign-up and many integrate with the primary vendors including Mail Chimp and Constant Contact.
- When you add the email sign up, try to place it in a couple spots, including: the upper right hand corner, the footer, and the contact us page.
- A paper sign up form at your front desk or register and while you’re at it, ask for cell phone numbers too!
- Choose an online email platform to create your email communication. We recommend Mail Chimp for new users because the entry pricing is free until you reach 2000 subscribers and the user interface is very good.
- If you have a web site and you added the widget for Mail Chimp or the feature to add email subscription to your site, then make sure you create a list within Mail Chimp (or Constant Contact or other email marketing vendor) and that you connect the list to your site. This may sound tricky but most web site platforms make it very easy.
What kind of information should you send in an email marketing campaign?
- Newsletter: A newsletter can provide updates on your organizations activity, helpful information and specials.
- Announcements: Share information about local events that you are sponsoring or that are relevant to your audience.
- Email: Are you offering a new product or service that you want to make sure people are of? Email promotions are a way to communicate your business offerings.
How do you create an email-marketing template?
- Using Mail Chimp as the sample vendor, create a user account on the site.
- From the home page choose to create a campaign, located in the lower right corner of the screen. Select the “Regular ol’ Campaign” to begin.
- You will be prompted to select a recipient list (see earlier notes on creating an email list) for your email. The next screen prompts you to provide a title, a return email address and other specific information about your email.
- In the next screen you are given the choice to select the method for creating your email, I recommend you choose the predesigned templates. The templates offer a lot of ease of use for users who are just getting started with email marketing.
- Peruse the templates available and then choose the format and design that meets your needs. Once picked, you can easily replace the photos with your own images and replace the content with your own content.
- Once you have finalized your email, select the button on the upper right hand corner “preview and test” your email. Make sure you preview your email before you finalize it.
- The last step before sending is to send a test version of the email to your own email inbox, this feature is also available under the preview and test button.
- Mail Chimp does a nice job of error checking your communication and stepping you through this process. As you move to the final step of sending your email, Mail Chimp will offer you a chance to review all of the pertinent details of your email.
- And now, send it! Select “Send Now” button at the bottom of the final review page.
So, Jump Off! Try it out!
Email marketing for your business may just be what your customers are looking for from you. Establishing your first email can be time consuming but the process moves a lot faster once you have your original email established.
Here are three vendors who offer email marketing:
Constant Contact: Great user interface but they charge a fee after an initial trial. So, if you volume is low they may not be the best option.
Mail Chimp: Great user interface and they do NOT charge for up to 2,000 emails so this is a perfect choice for people who are just starting out.
Mobility Mix: Offers email templates and the ability to market using email along with texting services, QR code creation, and social media integration. Low monthly fee. *Mobility Mix is product of Breezy Hill Marketing.
Please feel free to contact us if you have questions about implementing an email marketing campaign for your business!